Skip to main content

The Mental Ward - The Story of a Little Hero Part Two (14)

     "...But David was not dissuaded.  He continued to ask about the rewards for defeating Goliath, and soon his words reached the king."
     "David was summoned before the king of Israel. 'Let no man's heart fail because of the giant -- I will fight him,' David said."
     "But the king shook his head in disappointment when he saw David.  'No, lad,' he said. 'You cannot fight the giant -- you are just a boy.  He has been a man of war for many, many years.'"
      "David stood his ground.  'I kept my father's sheep.  And there came against the flock a lion and a bear, and they took a lamb.  I ran after him and hit him and rescued the lamb.  And when the beast attacked me, I grabbed his beard and killed him.  I have killed both the lion and the bear.  And this ungodly Philistine will be just like them because he has defied the armies of the living God.'  He took a step forward.  'The God that saved me from the lion and from the bear will save me out of the hand of the giant.'"
      "'Go, then,' said the king.  'And the Lord be with you.'  And the king gave him of his own armor."
      "But David wouldn't take it.  Armor is a good thing unless you don't know how to use it.  This was not something he was practiced in and become familiar with.  So he refused the king's armor, choosing instead to face the giant as he had faced the lion and the bear...with only shepherd's staff, his sling, and 5 smooth stones."
       "The giant came onto the field, ready to fight Israel's best warrior, and instead he saw a cute boy with a shepherd's staff.  'What am I? A dog?  Are you going to run me off with a stick?'  And the Philistine giant cursed David by his gods.  'Come here, boy, and I will feed you to the birds.  And we'll leave your little carcass in the fields for the beasts to chew on.'"
     "'You come to face me with a sword and spear and a shield,' said David.  'But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.  Today, God will make you fall under my hand.  And it will be your carcass and the carcasses of your army which will feed the birds and beasts...so let all the earth know that there is a God in Israel!'"
      "Goliath arose then and charged David.  And David RAN to meet him.  He put his hand in his bag and pulled out one of his smooth stones.  And he placed it in his sling and slung it toward the giant.  The stone hit the giant in the forehead, and the giant, who was on his way to kill David,...fell down dead.  And David ran to him, used the giant's sword, and cut off the giant's head.  When the armies of the Philistines saw that the giant was defeated, they fled in terror.  And the armies of Israel pursued and conquered their enemies."
     Emery drew a breath as her story ended.  The three adults had moved, during the story, and were huddled against one wall.
     Beastly clambered to her feet and gestured toward the adults.  "We should put them in the box now."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?