Skip to main content

Liebster Award from Jessie

     So, Jessie from Barefoot in the Snow, nominated me for the Liebster Award via a comment she left on my blog the other day.  I had no idea what she was talking about.  But, thankfully, I then went to HER blog and found a post about it.
     Its name makes no sense -- I do not know why it is called "Liebster" or "Award".  Essentially, it is an opportunity to answer someone else's questions for you and then, in turn, to ask questions of other people.  You can see it done properly on Jessie's post here (<--click on the word "here").
     So here are the questions that Jessie asked me and my answers to them:

#1: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where is the first place you'd go?  Why?
     First of all, you have to understand that my answer to this question changes constantly.  I have so many places that I would like to go -- I am really not sure where I would go first!
    But if I was picking one spot this very instant, I would like to return to the Grand Caverns, but this time, I would like freedom to explore.  Last time I went, I had to stay with our guide on the designated path.  But we could hear running water near us, and she said the exploration team had not found the source yet.

#2:  If you could travel anywhere in any universe (fictional or otherwise), what specific place would you visit first?  Why? 
     I am not sure if heaven is "in the universe" or not.  If it is, that is definitely where I would go.  Other than that, if there was a safe and convenient way to visit some of the planets (and it wouldn't take me a million years to get there), then that would be my destination. 

#3: Do you have a favorite Bible story/character/verse?  Who/what is it?
     I have never been able to answer this question.  It's like asking if I like my father or my mother best!  Everybody's different, and I'm not much into picking favorites.  In the Old Testament, I like the stories of the kings and the judges and the prophets.  I like David and his men, especially their earlier adventures.  I like the love stories -- Rebekah, Rachel, Ruth, Hannah, Esther, Leah, and so forth.  And I like Daniel and his friends.  In the New Testament, I really like the stories from Acts as well as the stories in the four Gospels.  And in Philemon, I like the implied story of the escaped servant who came to Paul and served him.
     There are way too many Bible verses that have impacted me to list only one or two.  But here is a cool idea that I will share with you: my family took my journal and wrote a Bible verse at the top or bottom of pages.  Not every page has a Bible verse, but a lot of them do and they are all different verses.  So as I write, I come across these verses and they are such an en-courage-ment.

#4: Would you ever consider eating octopus ink pasta with squid?  (I'm a bit obsessed with this question right now...) 
     Yes, I have noticed this question coming up often -- and it is a good question.  You are pretty much guaranteed to get a reaction of some sort with it.  :)
     The Bible has some instructions on which things were meant to be eaten for food by the Jewish people...and octopus ink pasta with squid was not one of them.  But the New Testament talks about Christians eating whatever is set before you with thanksgiving.  Sooooo...if you have octopus ink pasta with squid for me, I would eat it.  :)


#5: Have you read The Book Thief?  What is your opinion on it?  Favorite quote/scene?
     No, I haven't read it.

#6: If you suddenly found yourself in a do-or-die situation, what would it be?  What single item would you want to have with you?
     Usually, I think of myself in do-and-maybe-die situations (like taking a stand or saving others in spite of the fact that I put myself in danger).  Hmmm...do-OR-die?  Maybe jumping out of a doomed plane...in which case I would want a parachute.  A leatherman would be handy, too.

#7: Quotes are lovely things.  I've got an entire blog devoted to them.  Post a favorite or three (for me to use).
"These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also!"
                                                                     ~certain men in Thessolonica
 "Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? let me go over, I pray thee, and take off his head."                                               ~Abishai, son of Zeruiah 
"No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you."  ~Job (the sarcasm makes me laugh)
 "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
~Jesus

#8: What is your favorite type of blog post to read? 
     I like a variety.  Too much of one thing is boring to me.  But I am a writer, looking to improve herself.  That means that I love posts that help me be a better writer.  And if it is well done, I like to read nearly any of the types you listed.
     Two things that I especially love:
1. writing tips (or publishing, editing, and other writing-related tips)
2. scenes from a story

#9: What's the first thing you do in the morning after you wake up and actually get out of bed?
     Walk my dogs -- usually they are the reason I have to drag myself out of bed in the first place.

#10: What's the worst book you've ever read?
     I read a book in a series by an author I enjoyed.  The book started off creepy and demonic and kept getting worse.  For some reason, I kept reading, thinking "it has to get better...in a page or two, a great storyline will emerge and I will forget all about this bad scene."  But it didn't get better.  I finished the book, wishing I had burned it before I started reading.
     Moral of the story: if it's no good, don't keep reading.

#11: Can you swim?  Ocean, lake, creek, pool?
     Meh...depends on your definition of swim.  I can get from point A to B, providing I am not fighting a strong current, but I haven't quite figured out how to breathe along the way.  [Yeah, that probably means I can't swim by most definitions.]  The ocean was fun -- it flipped me like a pair of jeans in a washing machine -- and I could put my feet on the bottom and stand up whenever the wave was gone.  The pool was fun, too -- I was braver in the pool to try different swimming techniques.  I haven't tried a lake or a creek yet, but they sound fun, too.


OKAY, so the second part of the Liebster Award is that I am supposed to nominate 11 other bloggers to answer new questions posted by me.  Here I will deviate from the standard protocol (I hope I offend not) and post my own variation.  Here is how it goes:
I will post 11 new questions.  If you are interested in answering my questions (and I hope you are!), then you can post a link to your blog in my comments below.  Or, if you have no public blog, you can post your answers in my comments.

Here are the questions:
#1: Do you think you will have any career other than writing?  Do you know what it might be?  (You don't have to tell me what it is - only whether or not you know)

#2: Have you always wanted to write stories?

#3: What is something you value in a hero? [This doesn't have to be a heroic hero but just an admirable character, whether real or fiction.]

#4: What is something that you have seen people do that annoys you?

#5: Have you ever tasted an unusual dish or an unusual type of meat?  If so, what was it?

#6: What is something that you believe in strongly?

#7:  Have you ever hiked up a mountain and looked out across a grand vista?

#8: Do people see you as an introvert or an extrovert?

#9: Do you speak more than one language?  If so, what?  If not, is there a language you wish you could speak?

#10: Have you ever written a story (a complete story of any length that was not specifically a school assignment) that someone else in your family has read?  That someone outside of your family has read?

#11:  Did you know Someone loved you so much that He gave His life for you?

Comments

  1. Thanks for posting this! I enjoyed reading your answers, especially the last one... I can get from point A to B . . . but I haven't quite figured out how to breathe along the way. haha :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?