Skip to main content

BB Villan: The Forgotten Prince

via Pinterest
"I hate public appearances"

Newel peered through the crack in the lattice at the gathered crowd of people.  They waited eagerly for the expected royal appearance.  Newel dreaded it.

“I hate public appearances,” Newel grumbled, loud enough for his mother to hear.  “I hate having everyone staring at me.”

Mara repositioned her crown on her head.  Then she crossed the room to Newel’s side, her silken gown rustling, and grasped her son’s shoulders, turning him to face her.

“What have you to fear from them, my son?” she scoffed.  Her eyes searched his face, reading there the reluctance in his eyes.  She turned to the window, gesturing through the lattice at the populace.  “What are they?” she queried, her tone reeking of haughty boredom.  “Peasants, mostly.  Nobodies.  Bugs…insects, my son, in comparison to your greatness.  You have the blood of kings.  Bah!  Let them stare if they will.  They cannot hurt you.”

Newel clinched his jaw and nodded.  Mara stood in front of him, fussing with his shirt and vest.  She fairly oozed confidence.  “You are to be king someday, Newel,” she told him.  “Do not fail me in this simple appearance.”

It was time then.  Newel went to join Alton in the dark room that opened onto the balcony.  His heart pounded in his chest.

Alton looked calm.  Newel hated him for his calmness.

The strong voice of the forerunner was heard bellowing from outside.  “The royal sons of Lerata!  Prince Alton and Prince Newel!”

The doors creaked and groaned as the guards swung them open.  Light streamed in through the open door in blinding brightness.  Alton stepped forward boldly toward the open balcony.  Newel blinked at the light and followed him.  His eyes quickly adjusted and he stared out over the swarm of people.  There were so many of them!

As soon as the boys stepped into view, the crowd began cheering at the top of their lungs.  The men quickly picked up a chant and the women’s voices joined in.  It took a moment for Newel to decipher the words. 

Prince Alton!  Prince Alton!  Prince Alton! They chanted.

Newel was as good as invisible to the crowd.  The whole swarm cheered for his brother and ignored him.  Likely it was not even an intentional oversight; Newel was the forgotten prince, the one who stayed at home.

But the more Newel thought about it, the more he decided it was no accident.  His older brother must have bribed the crowd to ignore Newel.  All of Alton’s willingness to have Newel join him was merely part of Alton’s plan to publicly shame him.

Newel wanted to step forward to the edge of the balcony and shout to the people.  “See me!” he would have shouted. “ I am Prince Newel.  I am the one who will be king.  Cheer for me, you insects!”  But he could not bring himself to do it.  Slowly he backed away.  No one seemed to notice him at all.  Newel turned and fled into the safety of the palace.
His mother met him there.  He turned his face away from her in shame.  But she reached out to him, pulling him to her bosom.  “There, there, my son,” she crooned.  “They are all against us.  But we will conquer -- never fear.  We will make them recognize us when the time is right.  Hush, my son."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?