Skip to main content

BB Villain: Attack the Weak

     It is a strange twisted lie that makes a weak person attack someone weaker than himself.  Newel fell into this trap.  Feeling insecure, he wanted to be conqueror like his father and brother but was too cowardly to challenge someone equal to himself.  He turned to attacking those who could not defend themselves.  Soon after the embarrassing public appearance, Newel trapped some insects and took a cruel delight in removing wings and legs and watching the insects' struggles.  In some twisted way, this made him feel stronger.  But it fed his fear, as well, making him sneakier and more cowardly.
     The story below takes place when Alton was nearly a man and Newel was around 12 years old.  As I have said before, all his life, Alton fell naturally into the things expected of him, and, the older he grew, the stronger he became.  He had a talent for leading men and an ability to make swift decisions.  He never understoon his little brother’s shyness.  At 12 years of age, the younger boy seemed sullen and resentful, at odds with the world.  All of Alton’s attempts at befriending his little brother were repulsed, and eventually, Alton let him be. 
via Pinterest
 
     On the day of this story, Alton was getting ready to join his father on a trip through their country.  As he strode down to the barns, he heard a piteous yelp.  Turning off the path in search of the cry, he stumbled on a scene that filled him with anger.

     A dog was tied on a short rope.  It was a mangy-looking mutt.  Over and over, the poor dog threw itself against the end of its rope, trying each direction, in its attempt to escape.  And, perched in a tree out of reach of the dog, sat Newel, throwing rocks at the tethered dog and grinning at every yelp of pain and fear.

     “What are you doing?” roared Alton.  He stormed across the grass and pulled his younger brother from the tree with a yank.

     The boy looked at him defiantly.  “Target-practice,” he said, sticking his chin out.

     Alton stared at his brother in disbelief.  This was cruelty and cowardice – to torture a defenseless animal – and he would not tolerate it in anyone, let alone his own brother.  For a moment, he glared into his brother’s eyes.  Then he leapt into action.  With a decisiveness fitting for a prince, he grabbed Newel by the collar and dragged him toward the dog.

     “What are you doing?  Let me go!” Newel protested vehemently.  He had seen that look in his brother’s eye and it filled him with fear.

     “I’m going to change the tables,” Alton said, grimly, never slacking from his purpose.

     Newel’s mouth went dry as he realized Alton’s plan.  “No, no, don’t do it!  He’ll kill me!  Alton, no!” he cried.

     Alton did not slow his walk until they reached the dog.  Then he threw Newel down within the dog’s easy reach, pinning his blubbering brother defenseless on the ground.

     At first, the dog jumped away from them in fear.  But then, slowly, the dog realized that it was safe.  Cautiously the dog moved closer to the two boys.  Alton watched the dog in wonder as the poor beast sniffed the crying boy on the ground.  The retaliation that both Alton and Newel expected did not come.

     Slowly, Alton let Newel up from the ground.  “Don’t let me EVER catch you torturing a defenseless creature again,” he said, hoarsely, awed by the reaction of the dog.  Newel scrambled to his feet and ran toward the barns.  Alton let him go.  He knelt in front of the mangy dog and untied its rope.  From that day on, Alton could not look at his brother without remembering the cruel and cowardly behavior but also the heart of the poor dog. 
     Newel only remembered it as one more way his brother had shamed him.

via Pinterest

     I wish that I could say that Newel learned his lesson and started becoming the man he was meant to be.  But instead he only became sneakier in his attacks.
 
 

Comments

  1. Wow, Esther. That's great. I am intruiged. I am afraid I haven't been able to read your last few posts, so I am a little behind on the story's progress and the scenes you've shared, but I shall have to go back and read them.

    This is a very gripping, sad scene. What a brave dog. And I totally feel with Alton's righteous wrath. . . also, I feel a sad regret for Newel and his waywardness. That's terrible! :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you feel about this scene is the way I feel about this scene.

    I've met dogs like this and wish that I could rescue them the way Alton did.
    I feel like I would be proud to know Alton; I respect his quick-thinking decisive action.
    I used to love little Newel, in spite of his faults, but this is the point where I start to dislike him. He could still turn back and become a good man, but I despise the path he is on now. This is the beginning of villainy for him.

    Thank you so much for your comments and for understanding what I write. Your input means a lot to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?