Skip to main content

Making Sense of the Imaginary

from a scene in City of Ember
via Pinterest
     Okay, you read my post yesterday and you felt a little confused.  Your story involves people that can fly and a fish that can talk.  It doesn't make sense, you say, and yet...that's the way a fantasy story is supposed to be, isn't it?  Am I restricting authors' imaginations to the ordinary parameters of real life?
     No.  The fascinating thing about fiction literature is that it doesn't have to be realistic in order to make sense.  Strange but true.
     There are two things required in making a fantasy or sci-fi story "make sense."
1. Have a panel of experts explain it.
     This is easy.  If the world is to be destroyed by an exaggerated natural disaster, have a panel of experts use important sounding words to convince everyone that this is a possibility.  If your hero has just landed in a world where everybody flies, have some child explain this in a matter-of-fact tone (while looking at your hero like he is crazy for not knowing this already).  Your type of "expert" will vary depending on your story.  You only have to make it sound convincing.
2. Stick with the laws of your world.
     This may require you to make a list on a separate sheet of paper, but, if you have decided that the world you have created is to have different laws than the world we know, you should keep those laws in mind. 
     In our world, we have a law called "gravity".  What goes up must come down.  We can overcome gravity temporarily with force (for example, the force of jumping will propel you up into the air temporarily, and then gravity brings you back down) or with another law like the law of aerodynamics (this is how we fly a plane in spite of gravity). No matter where our story takes us, we are subject to those laws.
     If you have different laws in your world, define them to yourself and then make sure your plot follows those laws.

    Does that make sense?

via Pinterest
 

Comments

  1. I have read fiction books or watched fiction movies that didn't make sense.
    One was a little-known movie about some exaggerated natural disaster. After watching it, I understood why no one had heard of it. It was ridiculous and not even remotely plausible. But as I watched, I started looking for WHY it was so ridiculous. As unbelievable as it was, I have seen other movies who could have been just as unbelievable -- but those movies somehow set up the scene and explained everything with their experts so that the audience felt like this story was realistic.
    And I have read other stories that were so full of contradictions that I felt confused. They stepped outside of natural laws, but then, because the author didn't think through his new "natural" laws, the book was full of things that didn't make sense. Sometimes the laws worked and sometimes they didn't, and I as a reader had no framework to walk on.
    So there is a way to take the unrealistic and make it believable. It requires convincing portrayal, a pre-examination of the new "laws" by the author, and then adherence to the laws through the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?