Skip to main content

Playing with Caleb - Part One

Caleb

     A week or so later, I was out to see the horses again.  I overheard my instructor say that she might play with Caleb today but that she really, really needed to play with Scooter.  She also said that she needed to go into town.  I sighed, figuring that my long-awaited playdate was being postponed again.  But before I gave up entirely, I asked, "Can I at least go say hi to Caleb in the field?"
     Her answer was quickly encouraging.  "Absolutely, you should play with him," she said.  "You can bring him to the arena -- in fact, I prefer that -- and play with him here."  She did not seem reluctant or impatient; instead she was very happy and encouraging.
     As I gathered a lead rope and halter, my instructor talked to me.  She went down a list of Caleb's bad habits.  He had a bad habit of running off when he was behind you.  Occasionally (especially in circling game), he would squeal and bolt if his person brought up her energy too quickly or too strongly.  He would likely be moving-slow-and-thinking-fast and would outsmart a non-savvy human.  He also had the potential panic and run, kick, buck, etc. 
     She also suggested that I saddle him when I rode him and to use her saddle.  No bareback stuff.
     "I'm not riding Caleb today," I interjected.  Yikes.  I wanted to get to know him, to figure out who he was, and to let him get to know me and trust me before I jumped up on his back.  I was not in a hurry with this horse.  I had no deadlines.  All I wanted was to give him love and to develop some of his potential for his future owners without scaring or scarring him.
     My instructor said she most certainly hoped I wasn't planning on riding this horse today.  Caleb hadn't been ridden in 3 years.  She assured me that the idea of jumping on his back on "day one" was not on her mind -- these tips were for my future knowledge.
     By this time, I had my 12-foot lead rope and a halter.  I glanced down at the herbal fly spray, hanging by its nozzle on the fence.  "Can I offer Caleb flyspray?" I asked.
     My instructor gave me a worried look.
     "I will ask permission from Caleb before I spray, I won't spray if he doesn't seem okay with it, and I ABSOLUTELY WON'T spray him in the face no matter what," I promised.
     My instructor agreed to my plan with those terms. 
     Basically, as much as I hate for flies to be bothering my Caleb, it would still be better to let him be pestered by flies than for him to lose confidence in me and be forever ruined against future attempts to apply flyspray.
     "Is that a 12-foot line?" my instructor asked me, eyeing the rope over my shoulder.
     I nodded.
     "You may want to use the 22-foot line with him -- especially for circling game and some of the other games, too," she suggested.  "On the other hand, you need to be really careful with your rope.  Don't let yourself get tangled up in it.  Don't wrap it around your arm.  Don't let it get wound around your legs.  If Caleb bolts..." 
     I decided that I would stick with my tried and true 12-foot rope.  I was planning to be moving pretty slow that day, and I really wanted to try to use the longer rope with my sweet WhiteStar before trying it out with a new horse.  My instructor left the 22-foot line over the fence anyway, just in case I decided to use it.
     So, with a 12-foot lead rope and a halter, I moseyed out into the field.  This was going to be very different from playing with WhiteStar...
                                                                                                                 (to be continued)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?