Skip to main content

I meet Caleb

Caleb
     I had seen him in the field with the other horses, but I didn't pay much attention to him.  He was not one of the horses I had been assigned to work with.  He didn't follow me around when I was in the field or crowd under my elbows.  He was just one of the horses out there, and, other than calling an occasional friendly greeting, I ignored him...until that day -- the day that I met Caleb.
     I had just finished a full afternoon of playing with WhiteStar.  As I turned her out to pasture, a couple of the friendly horses gathered around me for a quick pet.  I stroked each of them and then turned to go.
     That's when I saw him.
     He was standing on the outskirts, looking both shy and interested at the same time.  He shifted his weight nervously, obviously wanting to come closer but too unsure of the situation to pursue it on his own.
     I shifted my weight and invited him to come to me.  He hesitated and then came quickly.  He stood by me with head up and ears flicking.  He looked a little astounded by his own bravery, and he eyed me carefully to see if I was going to do anything scary.
     I felt almost as jumpy as he did.  He was so big and powerful-looking!  I had only been playing with horses for a few months, and here I was next to a nervous horse I knew nothing about.  What if I moved suddenly or touched a sensitive place and he panicked?
     At the same time, though, I couldn't help but wonder at the circumstance.  He was the one who wanted to meet me.  He was the one who came at my invitation.  For the way I felt, I could have been in a wilderness, approached by a wild horse.  It was one of those breathtaking moments.
     Slowly, I rubbed his shoulder and neck.  As I did, we both relaxed somewhat.  I picked some burrs out of his mane and forelock, and I talked to him.  He still kept an eye on me but seemed to enjoy the attention.  I scratched his face, and he liked that.
     There were flies on his back, but I didn't know Caleb (or horses in general) well enough to feel comfortable reaching over his back without being able to watch his face.  In my hand, I had a long stick with a string tied on the end.  I used the stick to reach Caleb's back and scratch the itchy places.  Then I tossed the string across his back a few times, kind of similar to the way a horse tosses her tail to keep flies away.  Caleb closed his eyes.
     Then Caleb stepped forward, head high, and crowded close to me.  Silly boy.  I put two fingers against his chest and raised my "energy".  This is a signal that is supposed to mean "back up," but Caleb was not quick to respond.  I kept my fingers there, waiting for him to figure it out, but I almost thought my fingers were going to get too tired and give out.  Then, just before they did, Caleb took a couple steps back.  I instantly relaxed.  Whew!  Good job.
      So, as we stood there, just relaxing together and enjoying the sunny day, I really began to wonder about this horse.  What if he just needed a friend?  Somebody to play with him?  What if I were to start playing with him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?