Skip to main content

A Clip from Alexander


     Alexander is the working title of one of my auxiliary projects.  I have had this story rolling around in my head for years, and it has yet to safely make it out onto paper.  The central plot never changes -- it is fixed in my mind as securely as if it were true -- but the manner of telling the tale changes each year.  And, because of that, I have not gotten very far in the transfer from brain to document.  Nevertheless, below is part of a scene from Alexander for you to enjoy and comment on:

"...The soldiers handed out a few bruises and bloody noses among your remaining tenants, but nothing serious.  There’s a reward out for your head,” Nathaniel recounted.

     “What of my men?” Alexander asked.

      “Edward will send his warnings to them soon, I am sure,” Nathaniel said.  “I reached all of the leaders in this area.  Caphogen and Rinton are cautious.  They are loyal to Henrique’s line and will likely side against you as a rogue general if it helps them serve Edward.  Testope and Vonklin will seek to remain neutral – on your side but never openly.”

     “Down with the neutral cowards!” exclaimed Heathon, one of the men with Nathaniel.  “We will overthrow them along with Edward, the double-minded brutes!”

     “Here!  Here!” cheered two other men.  “Long live Alexander!”

     “No!” Alexander spoke the word only once but forcefully.  “No man under my command will harm the son of Henrique.”

     “But Alexander…he is nothing like his father.  For the good of the country, he does not deserve to reign,” one of the cheering men protested.

     “Maybe he was switched at birth,” suggested a wry voice, somewhere in the crowd.

     An appreciative laugh went up from several of the men at that statement.

     “Alexander, we risked our lives, our homes, our families for you.  We want that to mean something.  Do not let us down,” argued the other of the cheering men.

     “I do not seek the throne.  Edward will reign as king.  I and my men will seek refuge in the forest for as long as needed,” Alexander stated.

     Heathon spat on the ground.  “Then you are a coward, too, Alexander,” he said, accusingly.

     One of the men, a burly sort of man, pulled a long knife from his belt and jammed it under Heathon’s neck, only a hair’s breadth from his skin.  “No man calls Alexander a coward on my watch,” he growled.

     “Stay your blade, Quince,” Alexander ordered.

     “There’s nothing Alexander can do,” another man spoke up, mulling over the situation.  “He’s tied his hands.  He won’t dethrone Edward, and Edward will do everything in his power to kill Alexander.  There’s nothing Alexander can do but hide.”

     “So, what do you want of us,” another man queried, with one eye on Quince as the burly man slowly re-sheathed his knife.

     Heathon rubbed his neck ruefully and made a face at no one in particular.

     “I am with Alexander,” Nathaniel swore.  He looked disdainfully at Heathon.  “You say that he is great enough to be king – and he is – and then you proceed to tell him how to do it your way.  Who is it that you want to lead here?  If he is that great, then he knows what he is doing now.”

     Heathon pointed a grubby finger at Nathaniel.  “Well, I didn’t sign up to hide for the rest of my life,” he hissed.  “We either change the world or I’m going home!”  He punctuated his sentence with a final jab of his finger, spat again, and stalked away, shoving other men out of his way as he went.

     “So, what do you want of us,” came the repeated query from one of the men.

     “Serve Edward if you can," Alexander answered.  "If not, every one of you is welcome to join me.  But I warn you my life will not be easy.”

     A young man stepped forward.  “I’ve followed you in battle.  I will follow you anywhere, even here.  I’m with you, Alexander,” he said...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?