Skip to main content

Learning My Basic Horsey Equipment

WhiteStar
     Jump forward to the end of the summer.  By this time, I am working largely on my own, with my instructor working on small projects nearby (ready at a moment's notice to help me if I needed it).  I still felt pretty awkward using the equipment, but I had a general idea of what I was doing.
     My equipment consisted of a halter, a lead rope, and a stick with a string.

      Here is an image showing what my horse's halter looked like.  Do you see the blue halter on this horse's head (over his nose, along his cheek, and behind his ears)?  That is a halter.
You can also see the lead rope in this picture.  It attaches to the halter under the horse's chin, and the person (not shown in this picture) holds the other end.
     Your lead rope is kind of like your "hose of communication" with your horse.  You might be surprised how much you communicate just by how tightly you hold your rope.  Try holding the rope in your hands with your eyes shut and have somebody else hold the other end of the rope -- see how much you can tell about the way they are holding it without opening your eyes!

This is kind of like what a carrot stick and string looks like.  It is long (firm but flexible) stick with a string tied to one end.  It helps a person (who stands upright) to communicate to a horse (who stand on all fours).  It is a very versatile tool.  Sometimes it is like a tail.  Sometimes it merely gives you a "longer body" (like a horse).  Sometimes it is a hoof.  On occasion, it acts as teeth.  It's basic purpose is to help you talk in horsey language (instead of expecting the horse to understand English).

In reality, I guess this is not a lot of equipment.  An experienced person moves smoothly with these things, as though they are a part of her.  I, on the other hand, as a beginner, was constantly tripping over, dropping, and tangling myself in these various pieces of equipment.  A more "left-brained" horse would have been snickering up her sleeve at my clumsiness.  WhiteStar, however, was very patient and nonjudgmental as she waited for me to unwrap myself and get up again.  [I am immensely grateful that I did not start out on a wild horse as I imagine what would have happened if the horse had spooked while I was tangled.  Yikes.]

When I rode her, I connected both ends of a rope to her halter to act as "reins".  Occasionally, I put a bareback pad on her, but she is so comfortable to ride that I usually rode completely bareback.  Riding bareback is fun.  It definitely makes me feel connected to my horse, and it also helps me pretend that I am either an Indian or some girl taming a horse in the wilderness.  :)  It is very "natural" and I like it.

So that is the equipment that I used on a regular basis to work with her.  In addition to that equipment, I learned to used various kinds of brushes, a hoof pick, and special non-chemical fly spray.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Snippets from Snow White Rose Red

    One of the shadows moved.   “Were you just going to chuck it in there with no thought for the poor folks on the other side?”   Flip’s voice drawled out.   It was a deep voice and it made my heart skip a beat.      He moved away from the trees and came to stand in front of me.   “Some hard-working fellow is plowing his field and then – whop!   Out of nowhere, a poisoned apple flies out and hits him upside the head.”   He clucked his tongue reproachfully.

A Short Story Break

via Pinterest     It has been a while since I penned a short story.  Usually it takes something like a "short story contest" to inspire me.  But I have noticed my writing skills improve with each contest so there is something to be said for writing short stories.      I say all this to lead into the fact that I am going to try another short story.  There is no contest looming on the horizon, but it has been so long that I think I am due to write a short piece.  Life cannot be entirely devoted to novel-length plots...      I am rolling around different ideas in my head.  There is no one to give me the first three words or a picture to base my story on.  There are no restrictions, no props, and no judges.      Methinks I will try something that is both epic and ordinary...something I have seen before.  After all, personal experience, great things, and the expression of the ordinary are part of what makes a story. 

The Countdown: Eight Days

Eight days.  Do you know what that means?  Barely over a week.  Tomorrow will be one week from the announcement date. Are you excited? I am. So, today, I want to talk to those who wrote something for the contest, whether or not you entered it in the end. What made you start writing your story?  What was the first inkling of an idea that tickled your brain?  What was it that you liked about your premise?  As you wrote, did you have a favorite character or a favorite scene?  And are you glad you wrote it down?  Do you feel like you learned and grew in your ability as a writer as you tried out things for this contest? And, if your story isn't included in this year's Rooglewood anthology (either because you didn't submit it or because it didn't fit with the other four stories selected), what will you do with it?  Will you market it elsewhere?  Or will you lock it away in a drawer?